How to make Karapincha Kolakenda (Herbal Porridge) green and healthy way
Herbal Porridge is a traditional Sri Lankan food. It is a kind of gruel (herbal soup or porridge) prepared with SL raw rice, coconut milk and the fresh juice of medicinally valued leaves(Gotukola, Karapincha, Welpenela, Iramusu, Hatawariya, Polpala, and Ranawara). It is popular among health-conscious Sri Lankans as a wholesome morning meal and a definite remedy for various diseases.
It is the perfect recipe for general well-being and especially beneficial for the sick, elderly or arthritic. Good for you in every way and tasty too!
Today I am going to share a unique recipe that gives a delicious green Karapincha Kola Kenda.
Karapincha Kenda (Herbal Porridge)
- Kakukuhaal (red) or white rice -1/2 cup
- Garlic- 10 – 15 cloves
- Ginger- 1/2 inch
- Water- 3.5 cups
- Curry leaves- 350 gms
- Fresh coconut- 200 gms (grated)
- Salt to taste
- Thai sweet, sour and spicy fishThai sweet, sour and spicy fish
- Ghee Rice RecipeRice is a staple food in Sri Lanka and there…
- CREAMY ROASTED TOMATO SOUPAn easy and creamy roasted tomato soup full of incredible…
- First, select the type of leaves ( I used Karapincha leaves) that you wish to use and clean and wash them. Wash rice (you can use about ½ cup) and transfer this into a deep, heavy-bottomed pan and add 2 cups of water in the pan and boil until the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, blend the leaves, garlic, ginger and 1/2 cup of water in a food processor or blender and keep the squeezed juice aside.
- Then, put the scraped coconut, Karapincha pulp and 1/2 cup of water and squeeze the juice out of it and keep this liquid aside in a separate bowl. Repeat this process once more with the remaining ½ cup of water.
- When the rice is cooked, add in all the squeezed Karapinchajuice (from the 3rd instruction) and let it boil for 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Finally, take the pan off the fire and add in the blended Karapincha-garlic-ginger mixture (from the 2nd instruction) and stir well. Serve hot along with a piece of jaggery if desired.